Changes to EPC Rules for Landlords from 2025

The Minimum Energy Standards for rented properties will change from an E rating to a C rating. The new regulation will be introduced for new tenancies first from 2025 followed by all tenancies from 2028.

If your property fails to meet the new EPC ratings, you could face a fine of up to £30,000 as well as having an un-lettable property.

Why take action about this now?

Taking a property from an E rating to a C can be quite costly (can be into the thousands) and time consuming so it might be worth starting the work well in advance. Additionally, if you have more than one property, it might be quite a challenge to sort all the works out in one go so starting now will give you the ability to spread the work and costs out over a longer period of time.

If you’re looking to invest in a new property, you might want to start thinking about energy efficient improvements as part of the renovation.

Energy Efficiency Rating
Insulating Walls and Roof

What Energy Efficiency Improvements can you make?

  • Switch to LED lighting throughout the property
  • Properly insulate the walls and roof
  • Install a new energy efficient boiler
  • Replace old windows with double or triple glazing
  • Go with an energy supplier that provides you with a smart meter

If you’re really committed to sustainable energy you could think about installing renewable energy sources such as solar panels and ground source heating to your property.

How to check the Energy Standard of your properties?

    You can use the Government website to find an Energy certificate for a property in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. This includes homes, business properties and public buildings. 

    If your property does not have an energy certificate or the certificate has expired, you can also request a new energy certificate.

    How to finance the work?

    Whether you’re planning on completing a full refurb or looking to complete some general upgrades alongside your energy efficiency improvements, short term funding is most likely to be the answer.

    There are a few different short term funding that you could go for such as a bridging loan, business loans, refinancing and more. If you would like to speak about the different finance options available, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team today.

    Call us on 01270 443510 or complete our contact form, our property finance expert will be in touch with you as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.


    Amplo Group
    11 Mallard Court, Mallard Way, 
    Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZQ

    Join Our Mailing List

    See our privacy notice for more information on how we take care of your information.